Monday 31 October 2011

Cell-phone : Beauty turned Silent Killer!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am not so much of a gadget person. For example, a telephone is meant for me to talk to my friends to decide when and where to hang out, to call my siblings deciding when and where to hold family gathering, to inform my husband to pick up the kids form school if I’m coming home late, to call the childcare center to make sure my kids are okay, and for some banking, official calls or products inquiry. I am fond of NOKIA cell-phone and NOKIA 3210 was my 1st cell-phone in the year 1999.
Nokia 3210

This is my first cell-phone NOKIA 3210. 













Nokia 3310


 After NOKIA 3210, I changed to NOKIA 3310 for reason which I cannot recall.









 
Not long after that, I changed to NOKIA with polyphonic ring tone which I cannot recall the model name.



 






Nokia N70
In 2006, I changed to NOKIA N70, Music Edition, a birthday present from my husband. The most appealing feature at that time was the one touch Music button on the right side. Despite all the new models in the market, I am still using Nokia N70, because of the sentimental value. I intend to use my current cell-phone until it cannot longer be used or until I get a new one (hopefully Apple iPhone) for my birthday this year. 
















As I mentioned earlier, I am not a gadget oriented person, but I would love to have Apple iPhone because it is well known all around the world. It also seems that to own one of Steve Jobs' famous invention will enhance one's self esteem. 


While admiring the beauty and fame of Apple iPhone, I came across an article on dangerous effect of cell-phone on human being. It never crossed my mind that cell-phone  have dangerous effect on human body especially cancer.  To me cell-phone is a very useful and harmless invention.  This is the invention that connects me with my family and friends. Besides communication media, I can also  take pictures instantly using my cell-phone. Once captured, I can upload the pictures into my laptop and print out. Lets us just see how this beautiful invention can endanger human body. Of course many cell-phone heavy users may not agree with the article but the choice is always in our hands.



According to the article, the cell-phone is listed as “carcinogenic hazard” category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform. Study have shown evidence that there is an increase in glioma (malignant type of brain cancer) and acoustic neuroma cancer among mobile phone users but type of cancer is still unknown. This is because, the exposure will only take effect after a long period of time. Acccording to the study which was released in 2010, the rate of developing glioma and acoustic neuroma cancer has doubled among cell-phone users who has been using cell-phone for more than 10 years.
It is not to say that the cell-phone usage causes cancer, but the radiation emitted form cell-phone usage may cause the development of cancer in a long run.The radiation coming out from the cell-phone has the same function as radiation function in microwafe as to food. Besides leading to te development of cancer and tumor, it may also affect cognitive memory function.
So far, no study has been carried out on the effect on children, but considering the effect on adults users, I would assume that, the effect could be devastating. Although people are still skeptical about cell-phone usage causing side effect, some mobile providers (ex:Apple iphone 4, Blackberry Black Bold) has indicated caution of radiation exposure in their manuals. The rationale is that, the farther the device from human body, the lesser radiation is absorbed by the human body. Experts also suggest using speaker phone, not to use cell phone in the area where signal is weak because the device is forced to emit more radiation in order to connect to cellular tower signal. For more details, you can read CNN New and the following website.

Speaker phone







End


No comments:

Post a Comment